BunionsProviding solutions to help you manage your bunions
BUNIONS (HALLUX ABDUCTO VALGUS)
A bunion, medically known as a hallux abducto valgus is a foot deformity that affects the alignment of the big toe as a hard bony bump that grows outwards from the big toe joint. Over a period of time the alignment of the big toe becomes progressively angled towards the second toe. It is common to experience stiffness and aching within the big toe joint and over time the altered alignment of the big toe can lead to deformity of the adjacent toes.
CAUSES OF BUNIONS
- Bunions can often run in families. This is because foot structure and type is hereditary and certain foot structures are more likely to suffer from bunions than others.
- Flat feet and joint hypermobility (excessive flexibility/being to flexible)
- Frequently wearing tight fitting shoes that apply pressure to your toe joint and push toes together
- Frequently wearing high heels
- Arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Neurological conditions
- Women are more likely to suffer from bunions than men
SYMPTOMS OF BUNIONS
- Bony bump protruding from the big toe joint
- Misalignment of the big toe angling towards the second toe
- Thickened skin and callus around the big toe joint
- Stiffness in the big toe joint
- Red and inflamed skin around the big toe joint
- Pain and aching in the big toe joint
- Suffering foot pain when wearing shoes
TREATMENT OF BUNIONS
As bunions are a progressive deformity, if left untreated they can become increasingly painful and difficult to manage. If you are concerned that you may have a bunion, it is important to see a podiatrist for a foot assessment so that appropriate treatment can be provided. Bunion treatment may include the following:
- Wearing appropriate footwear is important for the management of bunions. Our podiatrists can recommend shoe stores that offer comfortable, fashionable shoes suitable for those with bunions.
- Padding and toe inserts
- Orthotics prescribed by a podiatrist to help support the alignment of feet and reduce the mechanical stress on the big toe joints.
- Unfortunately, in some cases, surgery may be the best option. Our podiatrists can help answer your questions about bunion surgery and assess if surgery is the best option for you. At Perform Podiatry we have close referring networks with the best foot and ankle surgeons across Melbourne.
LOOKING FOR A TRULY PERSONALISED SOLUTION TO MEET YOUR NEEDS?
At Perform Podiatry, we always deliver a personalised service to ensure we meet the needs of each patient. Whether it is prescribing custom orthotics, treating musculoskeletal conditions or running injuries, your treatment plan will be individualised for you.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
FLEMINGTON PODIATRY FOOT CLINIC WITHIN A SHORT DISTANCE OF MOONEE PONDS & ESSENDON
Perform Podiatry is committed to delivering high quality podiatry health care to our patients. Our podiatrists achieve the best results by working with you to develop a tailored treatment plan that meets your needs and allows you to get back to living your life the way you want.